Liver Transplant in Ludhiana, Punjab
Liver Cirrhosis, Transplant
What is a liver transplant?
Liver Transplant in Ludhiana, Punjab: Liver transplant surgery is used to replace the diseased liver with a healthy liver from another person. With a liver transplant, the whole liver, or just one will be transplanted.
In some cases, the liver can come from the person who has died. Sometimes, the person can be a living donor or maybe a family member. It might be a person who is not linked to you but he can be a good match. Once the surgery is done, the donor’s liver is going back to its normal size. The part where you get the treatment will come back to normal size within a few weeks.
What is the need of getting a liver transplant?
If the liver stops working, you need to get a liver transplant. If the person is diagnosed with an end-stage liver issue or a life-threatening liver problem then a transplant is needed.
One of the life-threatening diseases is cirrhosis which affects the healthy liver tissue and replaces it with scar tissue. Some of the additional end-stage liver diseases are:
- Metabolic diseases
- Primary liver cancer
- Biliary atresia
- Acute hepatitis necrosis
- Autoimmune hepatitis
What is the process of evaluating a patient for a transplant?
Psychological and social evaluation
Your health expert is going to give you treatment by assessing different factors. Some of them are stress factors, the patient getting help from the family or not, need for surgery, or financial assistance.
Blood tests are a great way to find the donor match and where you are going to be on the waiting list. It even helps to check that your body is not going to reject the donor’s liver.
Test you assess your general health
Diagnostic tests will check your liver & overall health. Some of the tests are ultrasounds, liver biopsy, lung tests, heart tests, colonoscopy, dental exams, and X-rays.
*You are not allowed to get a liver transplant if you smoke, drink, have serious health issues besides liver problems, metastatic cancer, or heart problems.
What is the procedure of a liver transplant?
- First of all, you need to wear a comfortable gown, to begin with, the treatment.
- The doctor will insert IV into the hand or arm. Your neck and wrist will have tubes. In between the thigh and belly or collarbone will have tubes to check your blood and heart pressure throughout the procedure.
- The catheter helps to drain urine out from the bladder.
- You will be given anesthesia, and a tube will be put into the lungs. During the entire procedure, a close look will be kept to your heart rate and blood pressure. The surgical site is cleaned with a sterile solution.
- Under the ribs on both sides of the belly, the doctor will cut. The diseased liver will be taken carefully from the nearby structures and organs. The blood flow will be stopped to the diseased liver by putting clamps in the veins & arteries.
- The doctor will use the surgical option to remove the liver and implant the donor liver, depending on your condition. Before it is implanted the doctor is going to check the liver.
Getting in Touch is easy
Fill out our enquiry form, we will get back you shortly.